CAPTURE SMILES, CAPTURE LOVE, CAPTURE LIFE.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

SOAR! Photography Exercise #2: Defining Details

The SOAR Photography Exercise #2 is all about Defining Details.  
So I drove a couple miles down the road to visit my grandma, Shirley Hallstrom. 
See these hands...  They have been through over 80 years of life.  These hands have cared for and have blessed the lives of many many people.  This woman married young and had 6 kids of her own by the age of 31.  She has 26 grandchildren and over a dozen great grandchildren.  She is one of those super friendly ladies that you just can't help but love.  She loves people and serves others as much as possible.  Can you believe she is still out working at the age of 80?  She is a substitute teacher all over the valley.
Grandma wanted me to take a picture of the palms of her hands because they don't look as old as the other side.

Here is a picture collage that I made for her.  His collage is filled with pictures of her posterity.  My little family of five is lucky to live near Grandma.  Everyone else lives several miles, and states away.  So this collage is pretty special to her because when she looks at it, it makes her feel like she is surrounded by her entire family.
Grandma is a widow.  Her sweetheart died 7 1/2 years ago.  She misses him.  
Here is an oil painting she created back in 1978.  It was a gift to her husband, Don Hallstrom.
Grandma is a fabulous artist.  She loves all forms of art, especially watercolor and oil painting.  I have been told that my artistic side came from this amazing lady.  One of her dreams is to write and illustrate children's literature.  She would love to be a published author and illustrator.  Writing poetry is one of Grandma's favorite things to do.  She enjoys writing poems and collecting quotations.  As a gift to family and friends, she likes to type up her poetry and favorite quotations, printing them off on colorful card stock paper, and writing a personalized love note on the back.

Tyler is my three year old.  Those eyes of his, how his works his smirk, along with that with his adorable little voice, and you have the makings of a true trouble maker.  This boy gets away with more than any other kid I know.  And you don't have to tell me twice, as his mother, I am the biggest one to blame.
 
 See that peanut butter trail?  I wonder who could have done that?
Not me!  I'm innocent!
Daddy get home soon!

2 comments:

Janette said...

Dear Lisa,

I love how you captured my mom's hands and paid tribute to her. The eyes of Tyler and him covering up his eyes when he knew he was in trouble is adorable. You expressed things well in photo as well in word. Thanks for sharing.

ali anderson said...

now *this* is a woman who gets it - gets that every single day is a gift. and she honors that gift with service to others through her unique talents. beautiful shots, lisa! also, i think you should find out her secret for keeping those hands looking so beautiful!