CAPTURE SMILES, CAPTURE LOVE, CAPTURE LIFE.

Friday, March 5, 2010

SOAR! Photography Exercise #1 - Self Portrait

(This first paragraph was taken directly from the SOAR! Blog)

Directions for Photography Exercise #1



The first SOAR! Photography Exercise is all about “Doing the Deeper Work”. This is a Self Portrait Photography Exercise. You will take TWO Self Portraits. One image will have you in the photo. The second one will be an object that symbolizes you. Both Self Portraits are meant to document where you are in your journey of life. When you think about this present season of life–this monumental moment in your journey of being committed to SOAR!, being on your way to become a successful photographer…How do you feel? Are you excited, afraid, alone? What colors are you wearing? If we saw your true insides, what would they look like right now? What object would symbolize this time in life? What angle would you shoot it from and why?

So, where am I in my journey in life?!  Life has treated me well.  I'm a 27 year old wife and mother of two boys.  I'm expecting a baby girl in June.  I'm a stay-at-home mom and love spending my days with my boys.  My husband is awesome and surprised me with my first DSLR this past Christmas.  I wasn't expecting a big gift for Christmas, and just burst into tears (tears of joy) when I unwrapped my camera.  

Photography was my major back in college.  I've had some encouraging professors and one professor that made me feel like I would never "get it."  I tried hard not to let that keep me from learning more, but it's hard to let go of negative feedback and move on.  My own self doubt in my capabilities makes it hard to progress too. 

Over the past 8 years I've continued to study photography.  I took a Photoshop Elements class last year to refresh my editing skills.  My favorite photo editing program is Picasa 3.  It's very user friendly and I feel that I have mastered it.  I should reteach myself Photoshop Elements though because I know that there is way more I can do with that program.  Over the years, I've done numerous photo shoots for family and friends. 

 Here's my self portrait:
I'm full of mixed emotions.  I'm excited to see how far I can push myself this year.  I'm afraid that I will spend too much time studying photography, photographing, editing, etc. and not have as much time with my family as I'd like.  I feel alone when it comes to funding my business and learning how to run a successful business.  But despite all these feelings, I still have my thumbs up and a smile on my face.  Why?  Well I've got to keep a good attitude.  A good attitude will keep my spirits up, especially as I stumble, dust myself off, and move on.  I will keep moving forward.     

Here's the portrait of an object that best describes me at this time in my life:


Yup, that's right my friends... I feel like a remote control.  I feel like I have the POWER to succeed but that someone else (like my evil twin) is pushing my buttons.  Up until now, I've let others' comments and opinions rule my journey in photography.  I can't decide what I want/need out of photography to make me happy.  I need to push my own buttons instead of having others push them for me.  I need a mentoring and a big boost of confidence to jump start my journey this year.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Cool. I like your self portraits. I can't mentor you or anything, but I can tell you that I think you have such talent. You can do it! Also, I know what it's like to not have the self confidence to do something and also to let other people's perceptions hold sway over what you feel about yourself. I'm not sure what the answer is... just keep your head up and keep going! Maybe part of life is learning that ultimately only YOU can determine what YOU become (as a photographer or otherwise... in my case it's otherwise). Anyway, I love all of your photos. This 365 project looks like so much fun!

TTLofWorship said...

Great job Lisa!